Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Bologna–love it or hate it?

I loved bologna sandwiches as a child, so no wonder that I love this fancy grown up version by Sunny Anderson.  It’s not something I’d want often, but during those random nostalgic moments, it’s a great one to keep in the recipe book.  I skipped the chipotle mayo, but I’m sure that would be great too.

DSCN1343

While the bologna was cooking, I also made some healthy sides to even out the fatty deli meat.  Leaks, roasted tomatoes, and asparagus.

DSCN1342

DSCN1345

Ingredients

Chipotle-Mayonnaise Spread:
  • 1/2 cup mayonnaise
  • 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, finely chopped or 1 tablespoon adobo sauce
Bologna:
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 (2-inch thick) slice bologna, cut into 1/2-inch chunks (about 8 ounces)
  • 1/2 cup onions, chopped
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
  • 2 teaspoons honey
  • 1/2 cup white wine
  • 4 slices white Pullman bread, toasted

Directions

For the chipotle-mayonnaise spread: Combine the mayonnaise and chipotle pepper in a bowl, and blend until smooth. Refrigerate until ready to use.

For the bologna: In a large pan on medium-high heat add the oil. Add the bologna chunks to the hot oil. Sauté while tossing to brown all sides, about 8 minutes. Add the onions and season lightly with a few grinds of pepper. Continue to toss while cooking until the onions are tender, about 5 minutes more. Stir in the mustard, and honey to coat, and then add the wine. Simmer while tossing until the wine bubbles and foams and is reduced to only a bit of sauce in the pan.

To assemble the sandwiches, slather chipotle mayonnaise on each slice of toasted bread and top equally with the bologna. To serve as a smaller bite, cut the toasted bread into 1/4ths and continue to top as directed.

5 comments:

Ioana-Carmen said...

This is so nice!! what do you say about following each other?;)

FashionSpot.ro

Isabella said...

Glad to see I am not the only adult that likes bologna!

http://isabellasfashion.blogspot.com

♥ tiffany said...

Looks delicious!!

Jenny / Rocknrollerr said...

I think I like it haha!

X Jenny
Rocknrollerr.com

Steven Brown said...

HELLO! HOW'S IT GOING? :) I love the photography on your blog! I am following. I hope you can check out my site: http://theproverbs.net and FOLLOW. Also on bloglovin, facebook, instagram, twitter, tumblr and even lookbook if you want :3 <3

NEW POST UP, YOU HAVE TO SEE IT :)

Steven