Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Mexican Lasagna

I’ve seen a multitude of lasagna recipes and decided to make one of my own!  While it came out a little more casserole feeling than lasagna to me, it tasted great and I would highly recommend.  Hope you enjoy!

Prep: preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease 13x9 pan.

Recipe / Ingredients:

  • 4-5 cups shredded chicken 
  • 1 small/med chopped onion
  • 2 cloves garlic (grated, pressed, or finely chopped)

TIP - You can either cook your chicken first (I poached my chicken, then shredded) and cook the onion separately OR you can cube chicken breast and cook with the onion.

If your chicken is already cooked… next cook onions and garlic until softened in a couple tablespoons of olive oil.

Once onions and garlic are cooked, add cooked chicken and the following ingredients to pot or large skillet.

  • 15 oz can enchilada sauce
  • 15-20 oz can of plum or diced tomatoes
  • sliced black olives (small can or enough for personal liking)
  • salt (1 teaspoon) and pepper (1/4 teaspoon)

Let simmer about 20 minutes until sauce thickens and flavors marry.

Separately, mix following ingredients in small bowl and set aside:

  • 2 cups of cottage cheese
  • 2 eggs

Now it’s time to start the layers!!

Final ingredients –

  • corn tortillas (not the crunchy hard shells!)
  • shredded Monterey Jack and cheddar cheese (my grocery has a blended bag, but if yours doesn’t just pick your favorite!).

Spread 1/3 of the meat sauce on bottom of the pan, top with 1/3 of the cottage cheese mixture, shredded cheese and finally the corn tortillas (I cut them in half and used 4 rounds per layer). Repeat 2 more times but leave off the tortillas on the final layer and just end with the cheese. 

Cover with tin foil and cook for 20 minutes.  Uncover and cook 10 minutes more.  Serve hot!

TIP: I like mine with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of cilantro.

1 comment:

True said...

I love lasagne so im def gonna tru this out!


-True